Visual Basic 6 programming Digest Number 2508

Message

Re: Error 70 - permission denied - on the Error log

Posted by: "softhackwin" no_reply@yahoogroups.com   softhackwin

Thu May 8, 2008 7:33 am (PDT)

--- In visualbasic6program ming@yahoogroups .com, "solarquark"
<solarquark@ ...> wrote:

I don't undersand where is the problem. The code is working and is
simple! Maybe you have something open in background! Try to close some
services (network) and see! Try to delete the TargetDir folder and run
again! The problem is not on code!

> [...]
> > ts.WriteLine (strError) & "drgdgdgrf"
> > ts.Close
> > End If
> >
> > LogError = 1
> > Exit Function
> >
> > ErrorHandler:
> > LogError = Err.Number
> > Err.Clear
> >
> > End Function
> >

> > Hi All.
> > >
> > > (Oh No! He's back, I hear you all groan)
> > >
> > > With your help, I recently completed my second VB project. This
> > > project reads weather instruments, displays weather values and
> logs
> > > these to a log file.
> > > Fine so far.
> > > I had added error logging. So, for instance, if the output file
> was
> > > opened (and locked) when the app needed to write to the file an
> > > appropriate error would be logged to the error log file
> (Error.csv).
> > > Fine so far.
> > > However, when the Error.csv log file itself is opened and an
> error is
> > > generated the app reports an Error 70 - permission denied -
> message,
> > > keels over, waggles its legs in the air briefly and expires.
> > >
> > > I don't understand why and I need your help to understand this
> > > behaviour. Here is the initial LogError function code (I have
> tried
> > > other ways to overcome this behaviour, but none worked - so I
> need to
> > > understand why this is happening).
> > >
> > > Public Function LogError(strError) As Integer
> > >
> > > ^ Dim fso As New FileSystemObject
> > > ^ Dim fl As File
> > > ^ Dim ts As TextStream
> > >
> > > ^ Set fso = CreateObject( "Scripting. FileSystemObject ")
> > >
> > > ^ On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
> > >
> > > ^ If (Dir("C:\TargetDir\ Error.csv" ) = "" Then
> > > ^^ '//Create file as it does not exist
> > > ^^ fso.CreateTextFile( "C:\TargetDir\ Error.csv" )
> > > ^^ Set fl = fso.GetFile( "C:\TargetDir\ Error.csv" )
> > > ^^ Set ts = fl.OpenAsTextStream (ForWriting)
> > > ^^ '//Log the error string
> > > ^^ ts.WriteLine
> > > ^^ ts.Close
> > > ^ Else
> > > ^^ '//File already exists - open the file
> > > ^^ Set fl = fso.GetFile( "C:\TargetDir\ Error.csv" )
> > > ^^ Set ts = fl.OpenAsTextStream (ForAppending)
> > > ^^ '//Add the error string
> > > ^^ ts.WriteLine( strError)
> > > ^^ ts.Close
> > > ^ End If
> > >
> > > ^ LogError = 1
> > > ^ Exit Function
> > >
> > > ErrorHandler:
> > > ^ LogError = Err.Number
> > > ^ Err.Clear
> > >
> > > End Function
> > >
> > > With this code, if the Error.csv file is already open when the
> > > LogError function tries to open it should it not jump to the
> > > ErrorHandler: , clear the error and exit the function gracefully?
> > > Why the crash?
> > >
> > > Thank you all, once more, for your help.

1b.

Re: Error 70 - permission denied - on the Error log

Posted by: "Michael Malone" solarquark@yahoo.com   solarquark

Fri May 9, 2008 9:31 am (PDT)

Hi again.
Comments interleaved below.
Thanks for your help anyway.
Take care.
Mike

    Neither do I. This really has me puzzled. That's why, after my own extensive investigation, I asked for help.
The code is working and is
simple! Maybe you have something open in background! Try to close some
services (network) and see! Try to delete the TargetDir folder and run
again! The problem is not on code!
        The problem exists on all the machines that I have tried it on. This             includes an ancient Win98 PC, a Win2000 machine and this, a                     WinXP PC.
        I believe the problem is in the code, but possibly/probably not this         code. That is, there is something else interfering with the                                 correct  operation of this module but whatever it is may be within             the other application code.
        Has anyone ever come across such a situation before? Surely I am             not the first.
        Mike

> [...]
> > > ^^ ts.Close
> > > ^ Else
> > > ^^ '//File already exists - open the file
> > > ^^ Set fl = fso.GetFile( "C:\TargetDir\ Error.csv" )
> > > ^^ Set ts = fl.OpenAsTextStream (ForAppending)
> > > ^^ '//Add the error string
> > > ^^ ts.WriteLine( strError)
> > > ^^ ts.Close
> > > ^ End If
> > >
> > > ^ LogError = 1
> > > ^ Exit Function
> > >
> > > ErrorHandler:
> > > ^ LogError = Err.Number
> > > ^ Err.Clear
> > >
> > > End Function
> > >
> > > With this code, if the Error.csv file is already open when the
> > > LogError function tries to open it should it not jump to the
> > > ErrorHandler: , clear the error and exit the function gracefully?
> > > Why the crash?
> > >
> > > Thank you all, once more, for your help.

Be a better friend, newshound, and

2a.

Re: Hi, some help pls.

Posted by: "Kazi Shams E Tabriz" stabriz@yahoo.com   stabriz

Thu May 8, 2008 4:38 pm (PDT)

in vb
dim a as double
a = 7 mod 2
a = 0.5
not sure what u mean by

shionuzuki2k2 <shionuzuki2k2@ yahoo.com> wrote:
how do you get the modulars or decimalsin VB?

example in C++.

a = 7%2

a = .5

what is its VB equivalent?

2b.

Re: Hi, some help pls.

Posted by: "Brian Auty" brian.auty@talktalk.net   brisanrus

Fri May 9, 2008 1:23 am (PDT)

a = ((7 / 2) - Int(7 / 2))

how do you get the modulars or decimalsin VB?

example in C++.

a = 7%2

a = .5

what is its VB equivalent?

2c.

Re: Hi, some help pls.

Posted by: "Michael Malone" solarquark@yahoo.com   solarquark

Fri May 9, 2008 9:02 am (PDT)

Hi.
Look up the modulus operator in the VB6 help. This operator returns the remainder of a division operation as the result. Be aware of possible rounding of the original numbers (numerator and denominator) .

Take care.
Mike

how do you get the modulars or decimalsin VB?

example in C++.

a = 7%2
a = .5

what is its VB equivalent?

Be a better friend, newshound, and

3a.

about the mod of the decimal

Posted by: "shionuzuki2k2" shionuzuki2k2@yahoo.com   shionuzuki2k2

Thu May 8, 2008 10:30 pm (PDT)

Private Sub Command1_Click( )

Dim a As Double

a = Val(Text1.Text)

Text2.Text = a Mod 2

End Sub

this only returns 1 for any number that has a remainder when divided
by 2 of odd numbers and 0 for numbers that don't, even numbers.

what I mean by it was how to get the remainder of an operation is
for example:

if you divide 7 by 2 you get 3.5, how do I get the .5 only.

in C++ you use the 7%2 to get the remainder .5. what is its
equivalent in VB.

Thanks.

3b.

Re: about the mod of the decimal

Posted by: "abhijit_dutta2003" abhijit_dutta2003@yahoo.co.in   abhijit_dutta2003

Thu May 8, 2008 10:43 pm (PDT)

If you divide 7 by 2, the remainder should be 1 irrespective of
language. I can't remember about any function or operator for finding
the .5 but you can do it this way x/2-x\2 where x is the number you
are dividing. So if x=7 you get 7/2-7\2=3.5- 3=.5
--- In visualbasic6program ming@yahoogroups .com, "shionuzuki2k2"
<shionuzuki2k2@ ...> wrote:

> Private Sub Command1_Click( )
>
> Dim a As Double
>
> a = Val(Text1.Text)
>
> Text2.Text = a Mod 2
>
> End Sub
>
> this only returns 1 for any number that has a remainder when divided
> by 2 of odd numbers and 0 for numbers that don't, even numbers.
>
> what I mean by it was how to get the remainder of an operation is
> for example:
>
> if you divide 7 by 2 you get 3.5, how do I get the .5 only.
>
> in C++ you use the 7%2 to get the remainder .5. what is its
> equivalent in VB.
>
> Thanks.

3c.

Re: about the mod of the decimal

Posted by: "shionuzuki2k2" shionuzuki2k2@yahoo.com   shionuzuki2k2

Thu May 8, 2008 11:07 pm (PDT)

Thanks man!!!! Just what I needed. So there is no direct command for
it but it works fine. Thanks again!!!

--- In visualbasic6program ming@yahoogroups .com, "abhijit_dutta2003"
<abhijit_dutta2003@ ...> wrote:

> If you divide 7 by 2, the remainder should be 1 irrespective of
> language. I can't remember about any function or operator for
finding
> the .5 but you can do it this way x/2-x\2 where x is the number you
> are dividing. So if x=7 you get 7/2-7\2=3.5- 3=.5
> --- In visualbasic6program ming@yahoogroups .com, "shionuzuki2k2"
> <shionuzuki2k2@ > wrote:
> >

> > Private Sub Command1_Click( )
> >
> > Dim a As Double
> >
> > a = Val(Text1.Text)
> >
> > Text2.Text = a Mod 2
> >
> > End Sub
> >
> > this only returns 1 for any number that has a remainder when
divided
> > by 2 of odd numbers and 0 for numbers that don't, even numbers.
> >
> > what I mean by it was how to get the remainder of an operation
is
> > for example:
> >
> > if you divide 7 by 2 you get 3.5, how do I get the .5 only.
> >
> > in C++ you use the 7%2 to get the remainder .5. what is its
> > equivalent in VB.
> >
> > Thanks.

4a.

Questions...

Posted by: "Michael Isaac Abuyo" amfugeh@yahoo.com   amfugeh

Thu May 8, 2008 11:35 pm (PDT)

Greetings!

Someone knows:

1. How to add an image, icon or picture on popup menu or drop down menu?
2. How to create and assign a global hot key using VB?
3. How to safely unplug or eject a specific device?

Are there ways or line of codes on how to do those questions I have?

Thanks a lot for the help.

4b.

Re: Questions...

Posted by: "Kenneth Danner" kwd@nettally.com   racermand289

Fri May 9, 2008 2:03 am (PDT)

To do the second question you do this...

1) In the forms properties you set "KeyPreview" to True

2) Then in the "Form_KeyDown" sub you would do this

'// Lets say we are looking for the Esc key to be pressed

If KeyCode = vbKeyEscape Then
StopNow = True
End If

HTH
Kenny

At 01:35 AM 5/9/2008, you wrote:

>Greetings!
>
>Someone knows:
>
>1. How to add an image, icon or picture on popup menu or drop down menu?
>2. How to create and assign a global hot key using VB?
>3. How to safely unplug or eject a specific device?
>
>Are there ways or line of codes on how to do those questions I have?
>
>Thanks a lot for the help.

4c.

Re: Questions...

Posted by: "Bamm Gabriana" bamm@gabriana.com   bammgabriana

Fri May 9, 2008 2:47 am (PDT)

> Someone knows:
>
> 1. How to add an image, icon or picture on popup menu or drop down
> menu?

This is not built-in to VB6, so you need to do a technique called
subclassing; Google for it, there are some sources available. :)

5.

Posting Report on the Net

Posted by: "Kently Morales" kentlytears@yahoo.com   kentlytears

Fri May 9, 2008 2:33 am (PDT)

Hello everyone... can anyone teach me how to save my data report
generated so i can post on the net or attache as file to send email. i
have tried saving it to HTM and TEXT saving into this kind of format
brokes the alignment of the report...

thanks in advance
kently

6.

Fwd: [Visual Basic 6 programming] about the mod of the decimal

Posted by: "jmltinc@aol.com" jmltinc@aol.com   jmltinc

Fri May 9, 2008 5:56 am (PDT)

How about:

Private Function GetDecimal(number As Variant) As Long

Dim x As Long

x = Val(number)
number = Right$(number, Len(number) - Len(x))
GetDecimal = (CLng(number) )

End Function

************ **Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
favorites at AOL Food.
(http://food. aol.com/dinner- tonight?NCID= aolfod0003000000 0001)

7a.

Desktop Shortcut with Visual Studio Installer

Posted by: "toole130" batoole@bellsouth.net   toole130

Fri May 9, 2008 6:45 am (PDT)

Does anyone know if Visual Studio Installer packager can add a
shortcut for your program on the desktop when your packaged program is
installed on a users computer?

Bart

7b.

Re: Desktop Shortcut with Visual Studio Installer

Posted by: "Michael Malone" solarquark@yahoo.com   solarquark

Fri May 9, 2008 9:18 am (PDT)

Hi Bart.
Yes it can.
After you open your install project navigate to 'SolutionName/ Target Machine/File System'.
If the File System pane (on the left hand side) you will see folder called 'Application Folder', User's Desktop', etc.
Select 'User's Desktop'. On the right pane you will see the contents of this folder, should any exist.
Right-click any empty area of the right pane. Select 'Create Shortcut'. Select the application from the list displayed.
Take care.
Mike

Does anyone know if Visual Studio Installer packager can add a
shortcut for your program on the desktop when your packaged program is
installed on a users computer?

Bart

7c.

Re: Desktop Shortcut with Visual Studio Installer

Posted by: "Barckley Toole" batoole@bellsouth.net   toole130

Fri May 9, 2008 10:49 am (PDT)

Thanks, Mike. Nice, clear instructions and worked just as I wanted.
Searched help for 2 days and couldn't find what I needed.

Bart

_____

Does anyone know if Visual Studio Installer packager can add a
shortcut for your program on the desktop when your packaged program is
installed on a users computer?

Bart

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.
<http://mobile. yahoo.com/ ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ>
yahoo.com/;_ ylt=Ahu06i62sR8H DtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

8a.

help pliz

Posted by: "-" agipharac@yahoo.co.uk   agipharac

Fri May 9, 2008 8:32 am (PDT)

if I have the follow problems to solve, how do i go about solving the .
i am a vb newbie:

1. Caption Problem.

Build an application with a command button. When the button is clicked,
change

the button's Caption property. This allows a command button to be
used for

multiple purposes. If you want to change the button caption back when
you click

again, you'll need an If statement.

2. Enabled Problem.

Build an application with two command buttons. When you click one
button,

make it disabled (Enabled = False) and make the other button enabled

(Enabled = True).

3. Date Problem.

Build an application with a command button. When the button is clicked,
have

the computer display the current date in a label control.

4. Random Number Problem.

Build an application where each time a command button is clicked, a
random

number from 1 to 100 is displayed.

8b.

Re: help pliz

Posted by: "Kevin Swiger" vb6_dev@yahoo.com   vb6_dev

Fri May 9, 2008 8:58 am (PDT)

It sounds like you're asking us to do your homework assignment. If that's so, I don't think you're going to get much help.

- <agipharac@yahoo. co.uk> wrote:

[...]

"Dirty deeds, done with sheep" The ACDC version of the Scots national anthem.... Uncle Spike

No comments: