17 new messages in 14 topics - digest

TOPIC: Remotely managing Access2K
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/c2456b69f5eea1c8?hl=en

== 1 of 3 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 2:25 pm
From: helveticus

Thanks for both replies.

George got the point: I am linking up via ODBC to SQL Express tables
and would like to keeping doing so even when the DB is moved over to a
ISP host. This works fine on my local machine and was hoping that this
kind of setup would also work in such a remote configuration.

Could you please elaborate on " Do not use ASP.NET in way so it's
hitting MS Access linked tables." ? Does this refer to locking, etc.?
TIA

== 2 of 3 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 2:56 pm
From: "Mark Rae [MVP]"

"helveticus" <msch.prv@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I am linking up via ODBC to SQL Express tables

So, what did you mean in your OP by "What tools could I use to remotely
manage the Access 2K DB?"

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

== 3 of 3 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 11:36 pm
From: helveticus

Thanks. Let me rephrase the question then. My original idea was to use
A2K as a back-end on the site to avoid SQL Server charges. It seems
however that one cannot use an ODBC connection to link up to a remote
JET backend database file such as A2K, since it is not a socket based
system accessible via TCP/IP. Furthermore, as you pointed out, using
A2K as a DB would be risky since MS has dropped the product.

From the posts I have read, I have come to the conclusion that the
best approach would be to use SQL Server on the site, link up to this
DB via ODBC from a local Access front-end client to "manage" tables
(ie. simple edit/insert/delete, no schema alteration). For "heavy
artillery" operations, I would use SQL Server Management.

Is ODBC reliable? Some posts suggest that ODBC are vulnerable to
connection break ups, etc

TOPIC: Formating currency on label
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/d8c20a61a4683114?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 2:24 pm
From: "George Ter-Saakov"

That is pretty much the same thing except slower :)

reader[1] returns an object that is actually has type Decimal.
Then you leave string.Format to figure it out and apply {0:c} accordingly.

with reader.GetDecimal(1).ToString("c") the guessing of which type reader[1]
is already done by you. Since GetDecimal returns Decimal.

George.

"Paulo" <eris_paulo@terra.com.br> wrote in message
> George, I found something on google:
>
> lblPreco.Text = string.Format("{0:c}", reader[1]);
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> "George Ter-Saakov" <gt-nsp@cardone.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> "Show currency" is kind of vague....as "does not work"....I bet it works
>> just does not give you result you want :)
>>
>> After you did reader[1].ToString() it becomes string and you can not
>> apply {0:c} to it. Since it only applicable to Decimal datatypes
>> (numerics probably too).
>>
>> Not sure why you doing it that way
>>
>> lblPreco.Text = reader.GetDecimal(1).ToString("c") should work...
>> Plus it's much faster ....
>>
>> George.
>>

>> "Paulo" <eris_paulo@terra.com.br> wrote in message
>>> Hi, I need to show on a label the data coming from db and it must show a
>>> currency... I'm using a SqlDataReader reader, but doesnt work...
>>>
>>> lblPreco.Text = Eval(reader[1].ToString(), "{0:c}");
>>>
>>> Can you help me ? Thanks!
>>>
>>> VS 2005 asp.net C# 2.0

TOPIC: anyone good with web gridview control
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/f4dedded822b5845?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 2:49 pm
From: Paul

Thanks for the response. It looks like there may be a bit of a learning
curve to this. Unfortunately I need to try to impliment it quickly and was
looking for some nicely formatted code but have not found any yet. Probably
will spend a bit more time searching and might consider a third party tool as
well.
--
Paul G
Software engineer.

"John Kotuby" wrote:

> Good question.
> Unfortunately I have a terrible time with the MS Gridview control myself and
> resorted to a 3rd party control.
> I would like to know where to find some nicely formatted example code
> templates to work from so I don't need to learn everything from scratch.
> At least the independent vendor supplies some great templates to start from.
> I would think that MS in their effort to become more Developer Partner
> friendly would serve up such examples.
> Maybe they do and I just don't know about them.
>
> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HI I have two dropdown boxes that I am populating with results from the
> > database. I can not seem to get them to show up as a row in the grid view
> > control. In addition when the page first loads I need the headers to show
> > up
> > with all of the columns even though the only data that is bound to the
> > grid
> > at this point are the two dropdown boxes. I also need a way for the user
> > add new rows. The gridview will look like

> > * drpdnbx1 * drpdnbx2 * chkbox * txtbx1 * edit//addrow/delete row
> > *
> > * showdrp1 * showdrp2 * dispchbx * disp * checkboxs for edit, ect
> > *
> > thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Paul G
> > Software engineer.

TOPIC: Dotnet 2.0
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/550d7b0aa685d1b0?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 2:59 pm
From: Paul

There is a built in control called fileupload with vs.net 2005 that makes it
very easy to upload a file. I have not implimented the download feature but
thinking it would be the same to set up.
--
Paul G
Software engineer.

"RG" wrote:

> I have a .net application that needs to upload/download file to/from remote
> site. I suppose that on a remote site I could publish asp .net page which
> would contain upload download control. What class, on the application side,
> would I need to invoke upload/download functionality?
>
> Thanks in advance

TOPIC: how to get it on saving an htm file?
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/65b2ea31d4734b17?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 3:08 pm
From: a

hallo

vs 2005 here

on saving an htm file with a custom encoding
(from the little arrow on the Save button in the file save dialog window)
how to have the iso-8859-1 encoding ?

I'm in Italy and in my opinion it is the most suitable for our country

TOPIC: Edit an htm file by code and keep its encoding
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/d682a0a7da74449a?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 3:11 pm
From: a

hallo

also some vb language question here
(but from the vb ng no answer)

the htm file created by WVD 2005 has an its own encoding

by code (vb net)
I need to open it
inoculate some text in the body section
then save it

no problem in this,

but so doing I loose the original encoding
(and I loose some special characters in the body section)

how to inoculate text in a VWD 2005 htm file
and keep the original encoding?
(I think almos all of you has edited an htm file)

TOPIC: httphandler for a specific folder
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/ccfe2c9b40b58b0e?hl=en

== 1 of 2 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 3:21 pm
From: "Ned White"

Hi All,
I would like to create a httphandler to set text watermark on image files
before it gets displayed to the user.
But this handler must listen specific folder or virtual directory(on same
IIS) not all the image files in the web application, for example it should
work for only "/Images/Products" folder and all its subfolders. Or
"Products" virtual directory and all subfolders.

Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Ned

== 2 of 2 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 3:46 pm
From: Kalpesh

httpHandler section in web.config could help.
It has a path property, which could be used to specify handler for
specific path.

I am just guessing it based on the docs.
Experts can help.

Kalpesh

On May 15, 3:21 pm, "Ned White" <nedwhite@> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I would like to create a httphandler to set text watermark on image files
> before it gets displayed to the user.
> But this handler must listen specific folder or virtual directory(on same
> IIS) not all the image files in the web application, for example it should
> work for only "/Images/Products" folder and all its subfolders. Or
> "Products" virtual directory and all subfolders.
>
> Is there a way to do this ?
>
> Thanks in advance for suggestions.
>
> Ned

TOPIC: Script to set Webb Application Pool
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/d2f91bcf9204387d?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 3:22 pm
From: Elmue

After one entire day of investigation I also solved the last problem:

Put this into a file "SetAppPool.vbs"

option explicit

Const GENERAL_FAILURE = 2
Const POOLED_PROCESS = 2
Const CREATE_POOL_IF_NOT_EXIST = true

If WScript.Arguments.Count < 2 Then
WScript.Echo
WScript.Echo
"-------------------------------------------------------------------------"
WScript.Echo "This script assigns a Web Application to a pool"
WScript.Echo "Usage: SetAppPool MetaPath PoolName"
WScript.Echo "If the name contains spaces the name must be enclosed
in quotation marks."
WScript.Echo "Example:"
WScript.Echo "SetAppPool W3SVC/553851221/Root/AppName Net2Pool"
WScript.Echo
"-------------------------------------------------------------------------"
WScript.Echo
WScript.Quit (GENERAL_FAILURE)
End If

Dim sWebApp
sWebApp = "IIS://localhost/" & WScript.Arguments.Item(0)

Dim IIsWebVDirObj
Set IIsWebVDirObj = GetObject(sWebApp)

IIsWebVDirObj.AppCreate3 POOLED_PROCESS, WScript.Arguments.Item(1),
CREATE_POOL_IF_NOT_EXIST
IIsWebVDirObj.SetInfo

TOPIC: Text recognition in ASP.Net
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/cb24561d4d79db66?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 7:16 pm
From: SV

Thanks Leon,

I have downloaded AJAX Toolkit. But i am not getting any help re: How
to implement autocomplete function in my current website.

Could you help me please? I haven't used AJAX before.

I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
SV

On May 14, 6:16 pm, "Leon Mayne" <l...@rmvme.mvps.org> wrote:
> > "SV" <swetav...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am using ASP.Net / VB.Net v 2005.
> > I want to add text recognition to one of the text box of suburb in my
> > form. What I want to do is when user type any character in that text
> > box, one dynamic list appear under that text box having all suburb
> > name start with that character.
> > How do I achieve that? Any hints......
>
> Do you mean like the ajax autocomplete control?http://asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/AutoComplete/AutoCompl...
>
> You just need to write a web service which will list the possible suburbs
> for a given keystroke and point the control to your service.

TOPIC: How to get the keycode press in a web form
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/4533b618e21b1a84?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 8:14 pm
From: stcheng@online.microsoft.com (Steven Cheng [MSFT])

Hi Vincent,

Since ASP.NET web application is stateless, the server-side page event
model doesn't support those frequent and realtime interactive event such as
"key press" and "key down"...

Normally, we'll use client-side script to handle such key press event. Here
are some web articles introducing this:

#EVENT HANDLER: onKeyPress
http://www.devguru.com/technologies/ecmascript/QuickRef/evhan_onkeypress.htm

#Handling cross browser key press events in JavaScript
http://dev.kanngard.net/Permalinks/ID_20050426091851.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

msdnmg@microsoft.com.

ications.

--------------------
>From: "win" <a@a.com>
>Subject: How to get the keycode press in a web form
>Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 22:51:21 +0800

>How to get the keycode press in a web form
>
>Vincent

TOPIC: How to access ID in Master Page
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/0017c30b9c8edd67?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 9:17 pm
From: "Madhur"

In the content page, include an @MasterType directive. This will cause the
.Master property to be automatically cast to the correct type so that you
can access any of it's methods and/or properties.
--
MAdhur

"tshad" <tshad@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
>I have the body tag of my page in my master page.

> In my control that is on the page, I want to set the onload event which I
> would do if it was in my control but it isn't:
>
> MyBody.Attributes.Add("onclick", "TestIt();");
>
> Is there a way to do this from the control?
>
> Doing this gives me the error:
>
> Error 5 The name 'MyBody' does not exist in the current context
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

TOPIC: Need some help for sending custom commands from ASP.NET page
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/7c1a47841208486f?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Thurs, May 15 2008 10:57 pm
From: erbilkonuk

Hi everyone,
I have been developing a project that is composed of one windows
service and one ASP.NET web site. The windows service and ASP.NET web
site reside on the same server.
I want to send start/stop service commands and custom commands to the
Windows service from ASP.NET Web site.
What I have done is :

* I read in a site that an web site user get credential of a user
"Network Service" at the server so I run the service with account
"Network Service"
* I give full control for user "Network Service" on Windows Service
executable .

What I get at the web site when I try to start/stop Service or send
custom commands is "access denied' error.

Should I programmatically get any priviledges? What should I do?

Best regards

B. Erbil KONUK

TOPIC: Index was outside the bounds of the array. With linq query...
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/0054038222c3dc33?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Fri, May 16 2008 12:11 am
From: Seb

DataClassesDataContext db = new DataClassesDataContext();
SimpleProgramsHasExercise sphe = new
SimpleProgramsHasExercise();

int exerciseId =
(int)ExercisesGridView.DataKeys[ExercisesGridView.SelectedIndex].Values["ExerciseId"];
int simpleProgramId = int.Parse(DropDownList1.SelectedValue);
//The following two lines give men an "Index was outside the bounds of
the array." exception when I submit the changes
sphe.ExerciseId = exerciseId;
sphe.SimpleProgramId = simpleProgramId;

//the follwing code works... but is it really nessecary to do two
additionally linq querys?
//var exerciseQuery = from exercise in db.Exercises
// where exercise.ExerciseId == exerciseId
// select exercise;

//var simpleProgramQuery = from simpleProgram in
db.SimplePrograms
// where simpleProgram.SimpleProgramId
== simpleProgramId
// select simpleProgram;
//sphe.SimpleProgram =
simpleProgramQuery.Single<SimpleProgram>();
//sphe.Exercise = exerciseQuery.Single<Exercise>();

db.SimpleProgramsHasExercises.InsertOnSubmit(sphe);
db.SubmitChanges();

best regards

TOPIC: Validating invalid keywords
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/e6ff00245dcd1cac?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Fri, May 16 2008 12:19 am
From: "K Viltersten"

I'm using the following lines in my page.aspx code.

ext:qtitle="Title of the info"
ext:qwidth='250'
ext:qtip="The info itself."
>Some text</a>

VS reports mucho erroro on this e.g.
"Unrecognized namespace 'ext'."
"Validation (XHTML 1.0 Transitional): Attribute 'qtitle' is not a valid
attribute of element 'a'."
and frankly, even if the application runs as it's supposed to, it's a
matter of principle and good coding not to generate such errors. How can i
"declare" those things so VS won't bark at them?

--
Regards
Konrad Viltersten

No comments: