microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp group

TOPIC: Unicode values
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/9038aec3941718be?hl=en

== 1 of 2 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 3:01 am
From: Marc Gravell

like so, but I'm using a string for soruce instead of a file (same
difference...)

using System;
using System.Diagnostics;
using System.IO;
using System.Threading;
using System.Windows.Forms;
static class Program
{
    static void Main()
    {
        Process proc = Process.Start("notepad.exe");

        Console.WriteLine("Please ensure notepad is active!");
        Thread.Sleep(5000);

        string INPUT = @"some~
text~
that
might{TAB}hic
be~
on~
different
lines";
        using (TextReader reader = new StringReader(INPUT))
        {
            string line;
            while ((line = reader.ReadLine()) != null)
            {
                SendKeys.SendWait(line);
            }
        }
    }

}

== 2 of 2 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 4:21 am
From: AA2e72E

Thanks for your help and sample code.

I need to have a clearer grasp of what I am doing, I think.

TOPIC: VS2008 and Webservice
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/d08303ec909cf56e?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 3:02 am
From: bob

Hi Marc,
This was going to be just an extra convenience for an IVR vending
system. As per my other post it has been postponed.

I'll look at getting it working in the IDE only and then we may farm
the deployment out to  someone who knows what they are doing.
There is also the whole web security aspect about which we know
nothing.
regards
Bob

On Mon, 12 May 2008 08:28:42 +0100, Marc Gravell
<marc.gravell@gmail.com> wrote:

>Re the identity issues, I could *probably* help, but you might want to
>repost to an ASP.NET-specific group for a better answer.
>
>Re "publish", I only really use that in the IDE to move things between
>development boxes...
>
>As for *using* web-deployment projects - I must admit that I know of
>their existance, and have played with them, but I've never really used
>them in anger. We tend to use a manual one-time task of setting up IIS,
>and then we just use "robocopy /E /MIR" to deploy to the (multiple) web
>servers (as part of a proper process - not simply from a developer
>desktop ;-p).
>
>Marc

TOPIC: How to develop database applications faster?
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/f090d7c5cd0d6537?hl=en

== 1 of 2 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 3:30 am
From: "Paul E Collins"

"Petar Djetlic" <petar.djetlic@gmail.com> wrote:

> I started developing in C#. Is there any elegant solution for
> automatic generating of forms based on the structure of the tables in
> (MSSQL) database (database schema), and after that only making minor
> changes in generated code for specific things. [...] Most forms for
> entering data are similar and have some form of  DataGridView with
> buttons for Insert/Update/Delete/Sort/Filter/Print/...

Why not have *one* form with a DataGridView, and create new copies of it
bound to different tables?

Eq.

== 2 of 2 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 3:32 am
From: "Cor Ligthert[MVP]"

Petar,

You have at least two options, user controls and inherited forms.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.controls.usercontrol.aspx

Sorry I could not find a link to inherited form on MSDN, however it is in
the items from the project when you right click on that.

Cor

"Petar Djetlic" <petar.djetlic@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
>I started developing in C#. Is there any elegant solution for automatic
>generating of forms based on the structure of the tables in (MSSQL)
>database (database schema), and after that only making minor changes in
>generated code for specific things.
>
> Take for example some simple desktop (windows) database app with 30-50
> tables. Most forms for entering data are similar and have some form of
> DataGridView with buttons for Insert/Update/Delete/Sort/Filter/Print/...
> Forms for Insert/Update have many fields and some buttons like OK and
> Cancel.
>
> Generating every new form from zero with form designer and drag and drop
> is very hard. Even the old xBase tools had frameworks for automatic
> generating of code for all forms (even the complex ones) with the need for
> only small changes after. What I want to say is that using the form
> designer at all is the step back.
>
> How you people do this, make every new form from zero or have some kind of
> automatism.
>
> Petar

TOPIC: Style trigger not firing in wpf app
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/4d677c0e3747bc15?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 3:30 am
From: v-lliu@online.microsoft.com (Linda Liu[MSFT])

Hi Moondaddy,

After doing some research, I figure the problem out.

The main point is that the DataTrigger you use in the
"ConnectionGroupStyle" is not correct. You should use the relative source
mode of FindAncestor to get notified when the IsMouseOver property of the
parent element of the ChildControl changes.

In addition, in the SomeControl.xaml file, you shouldn't set the Visibility
property explicitly because it will override the style that is applied to
the element. You should set the initial value of the Visibility property in
the style.

The modifications are as follows.

1.  In the Dictionary1.xaml:

<ResourceDictionary
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
   xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
    xmlns:c="clr-namespace:StyleTriggerFromParent">

   <Style x:Key="ConnectionGroupStyle" TargetType="{x:Type
c:ChildControl}">
       <Setter Property="SnapsToDevicePixels" Value="false"/>
       <Setter Property="Visibility" Value="Hidden"/>
       <Style.Triggers>
           <DataTrigger Value="True">
               <DataTrigger.Binding>
                   <Binding Path="IsMouseOver">
                       <Binding.RelativeSource>
                       <RelativeSource Mode="FindAncestor"
AncestorType="{x:Type FrameworkElement}" AncestorLevel="1"/>
                       </Binding.RelativeSource>
                   </Binding>
               </DataTrigger.Binding>
               <Setter Property="Visibility" Value="Visible" />
           </DataTrigger>
       </Style.Triggers>
   </Style>

</ResourceDictionary>

2. In the SomeControl.xaml, remove the Visibility property from the
ChildControl element.

Please try my suggestion and let me know the result.

Sincerely,
Linda Liu
Microsoft Online Community Support

msdnmg@microsoft.com.

TOPIC: Creating New Threads to Show a Splash and Login Screen
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/9bf16777df817b9e?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 3:39 am
From: "Cor Ligthert[MVP]"

Gaz,

> WHen my C# windows app loads up the start form, i create a new thread
> and show the splash on the new thread and put the main thread to sleep
> until the splash screen has done the business

What is the senze of your solution, this you can do with a simple.

\\\
Form splasy = new Form();
//Set what you want on splasy
splasy.ShowDialog();
splazy.Dispose();
///

The effect is the same.

The meaning of multithreading with a splash screen is to do initialization
operations while the splash screen is showed, not to stop it.

Cor

"Gaz" <gonkowonko@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
>I am having a bit of a problem getting my application to work
> properly.
>
> RIght here is my problem...
>
> WHen my C# windows app loads up the start form, i create a new thread
> and show the splash on the new thread and put the main thread to sleep
> until the splash screen has done the business, then i kill the new
> thread and start another to show the login and again put the main one
> to sleep. Problem i have is that my splash screen will show ie has
> focus but when my login box appears it is minimised to the taskbar??
> and doesnt show up on the screeen like i want it to.
>
> Here is my Code:
>
> //Load the Splash Screen
> private void DoSplash()
>        {
>            Splash sp = new Splash();
>            DialogResult Res;
>
>            Res = sp.ShowDialog();
>            if (Res == DialogResult.Abort)
>            {
>                KillApp = true;
>            }
>
>            WakeThread = true;
>
>        }
>
>        //Here is my Login Form
>        private void ShowLogin()
>        {
>            Login lg = new Login();
>            DialogResult Res;
>
>            Res = lg.ShowDialog();
>            if (Res != DialogResult.OK)
>            {
>                KillApp = true;
>            }
>
>            WakeThread = true;
>
>        }
>
> and finally my initial form constructor
>

>            //Show Splash Screen
>            Thread th = new Thread(new ThreadStart(DoSplash));
>            th.Start();
>            while (WakeThread == false)
>            { Thread.Sleep(1000); }
>
>            th.Abort();
>
>            if (KillApp)
>            { KillApplication(); }
>            //end of splash screen
>

>            //Show Login Box
>            WakeThread = false;
>            Thread thLogin = new Thread(new ThreadStart(ShowLogin));
>            thLogin.Start();
>            while (WakeThread == false)
>            { Thread.Sleep(1000); }
>
>            thLogin.Abort();
>
>            if (KillApp)
>            { KillApplication(); }
>            //end of Login
>
>            //GOOD TO GO.....
>            InitializeComponent();
>

> Can anyone offer a suggestion to what i am doing wrong or if someone
> has a better way of doing what im trying to then please let me know :)
>
> Thanks

TOPIC: Attach a listener to the IsMouseOver property
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/5beff94c878fe04d?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 3:52 am
From: v-lliu@online.microsoft.com (Linda Liu[MSFT])

Hi Moondaddy,

IMO, there's no way to attach a listener or hook into the IsMouseOver
property and get notified whenever this property changes.

Could you tell me why you'd like to do this? There may be other ways to get
what you really want.

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Linda Liu
Microsoft Online Community Support

msdnmg@microsoft.com.

ications.

TOPIC: Method overloading
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/ae9bdbe44dcff99f?hl=en

== 1 of 4 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 3:58 am
From: "pagerintas pritupimas"

Not that this is a real-life problem but how would you call a "second" Foo
method ?

using System;

public class Boo<T>
{
   public void Foo(int index)
   {
       Console.WriteLine("Foo(int)");
   }

   public void Foo(T key)
   {
       Console.WriteLine("Foo(T)");
   }
}

internal static class Program
{
   private static void Main()
   {
       Boo<int> boo = new Boo<int>();
       boo.Foo(0);
   }
}

== 2 of 4 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 4:07 am
From: Marc Gravell

Take away the compiler's ability to know it as an integer:

    private static void Main()
    {
        Boo<int> boo = new Boo<int>();
        boo.Foo(0);
        CallFooByKey(boo, 0);
    }
    static void CallFooByKey<T>(Boo<T> boo, T key)
    {
        boo.Foo(key);
    }

== 3 of 4 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 4:20 am
From: Marc Gravell

I should note that in C# 3 you can make this slightly more intuitive via
"extension methods" - but it is also better to avoid it by naming the
methods differently to begin with (even the language spec highlights
this as a problem scenario, best avoided...)

    private static void Main()
    {
        Boo<int> boo = new Boo<int>();
        boo.Foo(0);
        boo.FooByKey(0);
    }
    public static void FooByKey<T>(this Boo<T> boo, T key)
    {
        boo.Foo(key);
    }

== 4 of 4 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 6:05 am
From: "DSK Chakravarthy"

This is really a tricky situation. but in real time, you will get to know
the object by specific entity. anyhow, if you want to eliminate the
confusion between the first method and second method, i recommend the
following suggtion.

public void foo(T key)
       {
           if (key.GetType().Equals(typeof(int)))
               foo((int)key);
           else
               Console.WriteLine("Foo(T)");
       }

HTH

"pagerintas pritupimas" <org@com.net> wrote in message
> Not that this is a real-life problem but how would you call a "second" Foo
> method ?
>
> using System;
>
> public class Boo<T>
> {
>    public void Foo(int index)
>    {
>        Console.WriteLine("Foo(int)");
>    }
>
>    public void Foo(T key)
>    {
>        Console.WriteLine("Foo(T)");
>    }
> }
>
> internal static class Program
> {
>    private static void Main()
>    {
>        Boo<int> boo = new Boo<int>();
>        boo.Foo(0);
>    }
> }

TOPIC: basic source code archiver
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/6453172ce135b3db?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 4:05 am
From: "colin"

thanks for this and all the other replies
ive use cvs before and it can consume quite a bit of time and patience
especialy when something doesnt go quite right or breaks.

ive used about 3 diferent cvs tools to access other software already,
such as online open source code, and its taken some patience
to get them to work.

but recently I had 12 bsod when trying to get multiple viewports to work
with managed directx and a fancy docking library that would change the
window to invalid sizes
while it was changing it from docked to undocked states.

i was geting woried my file system was going to become unbootable again.
at least zip files are relativly easy to recover compared to closed format
data stores.

I just like to make a snapshot when I get the thing to work,
and before I make any drastic changes,
unfortunatly my enthusiasm comes in bursts and i forget to make the snapshot
till after ive already made a few changes  lol.

I dont need to keep versions going back over many weeks.
when I release a version I take a complete file dump.

the filehamster seems to be an ideal tool, it just looks for any files that
have changed and
puts them in the library, as long as it does this every few hours or so this
wil be fine,
I think i saw setings for that.

Colin =^.^=

"Arved Sandstrom" <asandstrom@accesswave.ca> wrote in message
> "colin" <colin.rowe1@ntworld.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I could do with a simple source code archiver
>> something that can save all source files,
>> and then save any changed source file,
>> but I dont realy want or need the
>> complexity of source code control.
>>
>> at the moment I just zip the entire directory,
>> and save in numbered files, but theres a lot of large
>> files that arnt modified often such as 3d model objects.
>>
>> thanks
>> Colin =^.^=
>
> By the time you're done figuring out a personal system for saving only the
> files that have changed, and then deciding that it's sort of gross to save
> the complete copy of a file that you only changed 2 lines in, and
> implementing a system to handle _that_ situation, you could already have
> gone through the setup and relatively short learning curve for something
> like Subversion on Windows:
> http://blogs.vertigosoftware.com/teamsystem/archive/2006/01/16/Setting_up_a_Subversion_Server_under_Windows.aspx
>
> It'll save you a lot of time, and give you a much more reliable revision
> control system.
>
> AHS

TOPIC: Data structure (tree)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/bb2bb2e3093bf9eb?hl=en

== 1 of 2 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 4:20 am
From: csharpula csharp

But my question is if I need to create the TreeNode class by myself and
implement all the tree functionality or I can use some pre defined class
or implment some tree template interface?
Thanks!

== 2 of 2 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 4:36 am
From: Marc Gravell

csharpula csharp wrote:
> But my question is if I need to create the TreeNode class by myself and
> implement all the tree functionality or I can use some pre defined class
> or implment some tree template interface?
> Thanks!

To come back full-circle, XmlDocument is a fully-functional pre-defined
class for loading an arbitrary tree of data... if you want something in
between, you're going to have to be a lot more specific about what you
want (and probably write it yourself).

In System.Web.UI, there are some interfaces - IHierarchyData,
IHierarchicalEnumerable, IHierarchicalDataSource - but to be honest I
wouldn't worry unless you are using the web tree-view.

Marc

TOPIC: Make polyline appear crisp and clear in small content control (wpf)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/295d422ce86cc0ec?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 4:19 am
From: v-lliu@online.microsoft.com (Linda Liu[MSFT])

Hi Moondaddy,

How about the problem now?

If the problem is still not solved, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you for using our MSDN Managed Newsgroup Support Service!

Sincerely,
Linda Liu
Microsoft Online Community Support

msdnmg@microsoft.com.

TOPIC: Equivalent of Shellexecute in csharp ?
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/4556042913586f79?hl=en

== 1 of 2 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 4:38 am
From: "Diego Armando Maradona"

Hi,

I am using toshiba tec sx8 thermal printer for printing our labels,

in My old Delphi application I was using such code;

   ShellExecute(0,'open',Data.cmdbuffer, PChar('/c copy
'+ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName)+'PRINTER\ZZ3.PRN
'+dmoMain.PRINTER+':'), nil, SW_HIDE);

   frmStockCardReport.QuickRep1.Preview;

   ShellExecute(0,'open',Data.cmdbuffer, PChar('/c copy
'+ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName)+'PRINTER\ZZ2.PRN
'+dmoMain.PRINTER+':'), nil, SW_HIDE);

After writing new program on .net, How can I write equivalent of above codes
?

Thanks

== 2 of 2 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 5:13 am
From: "Gilles Kohl [MVP]"

On Mon, 12 May 2008 14:38:01 +0300, "Diego Armando Maradona"
<Someone@Somewhere.Co.Uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am using toshiba tec sx8 thermal printer for printing our labels,
>
>in My old Delphi application I was using such code;
>
>    ShellExecute(0,'open',Data.cmdbuffer, PChar('/c copy
>'+ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName)+'PRINTER\ZZ3.PRN
>'+dmoMain.PRINTER+':'), nil, SW_HIDE);
>
>    frmStockCardReport.QuickRep1.Preview;
>
>    ShellExecute(0,'open',Data.cmdbuffer, PChar('/c copy
>'+ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName)+'PRINTER\ZZ2.PRN
>'+dmoMain.PRINTER+':'), nil, SW_HIDE);
>
>After writing new program on .net, How can I write equivalent of above codes

Check out the System.Diagnostics.Process class, e.g. its static

  public static Process Start(string fileName, string arguments)

overload.

You may want to explore other techniques for printing than sending
files to the printer port via "cmd copy /c filename lpt1:" (or
similar) though.

  Regards,
  Gilles [MVP].

  (Please reply to the group, not via email.
  Find my MVP profile with past articles / downloads here:
  http://www.gilleskohl.de/mvpprofile.htm)

TOPIC: Importing from excel
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/3195a92735182d50?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 4:51 am
From: Cdude

 OleDbConnection excel1 = new OleDbConnection();

excel1.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=C:\\Documents and Settings\\Jed\\My Documents\\pro cd\
\testsheet.xls;Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;";
               OleDbDataAdapter fillds = new OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT
Barcode,Part_Count,Cycle_Time FROM [Sheet1$]", excel1);

               System.Data.DataTable ds = new
System.Data.DataTable();
               fillds.Fill(ds);

This is the code i am using but i am getting this error when i execute
the fill statement.

External table is not in the expected format.

What am i doing wrong here?Please help. thanks in advance

TOPIC: C# act on enter key in a TextBox
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/d1a03f12767fd99c?hl=en

== 1 of 3 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 5:08 am
From: kerenx7@gmail.com

Hi!

  I have a Textbox and would like to commit a search on the text
entered in it if someone wrote something in and than pressed the Enter
key.

What is the best way to do that?
What event should I use?

Thank you in advance,
Keren

== 2 of 3 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 5:12 am
From: "DSK Chakravarthy"

For a windows application, it is recommended to write a keydown event.
For a web application, it is recommended to implement the same with either
validate or lost focus

HTH

<kerenx7@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
>   I have a Textbox and would like to commit a search on the text
> entered in it if someone wrote something in and than pressed the Enter
> key.
>
> What is the best way to do that?
> What event should I use?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Keren

== 3 of 3 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 5:16 am
From: "Diego Armando Maradona"

in the textbox "keydown" event,

if (e.keycode == keys.return)
{
 doSearch();
}

<kerenx7@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
>   I have a Textbox and would like to commit a search on the text
> entered in it if someone wrote something in and than pressed the Enter
> key.
>
> What is the best way to do that?
> What event should I use?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Keren

TOPIC: Movado Vizio Ladies Watch 1604452
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/e6095c982e378a04?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 5:11 am
From: blog224@watchesblog.cn

Movado Vizio Ladies Watch 1604452

Movado Vizio Ladies Watch 1604452 Link :
http://movado.hotwatch.org/Movado-1604452.html

Movado Vizio Ladies Watch 1604452 Information :

Brand :           Movado Watches ( http://movado.hotwatch.org/ )
Gender :          Ladies
Code :           Movado-1604452
Item Variations :           1604452, Movado-1604452
Movement :        Quartz
Bezel :           Fixed
Case Material :    Stainless Steel
Case Diameter :
Dial Color :           White
Crystal :         Scratch Resistant Sapphire
Clasp :           Black Sharkskin
Water Resistant : 30m/100ft

Movado Vizio Sport Strap Watch, Ladies Stainless Steel Case , White
Dial,Black Sharkskin Embossed Leather Strap, Sapphire Crystal,Water
Resistant To 99 Feet,Quartz Watch. Movado Watch Model Number
1604452.<br>Interested in the matching Mens version of this Movado
watch? You can view the Movado Vizio Mens Watch 1604451 here.

The Same Movado Watches Series :

Movado Vizio Ladies Watch 1604446 :
http://movado.hotwatch.org/Movado-1604446.html

Movado Aperta Ladies Watch 0605912 :
http://movado.hotwatch.org/Movado-Aperta-Ladies-Watch-0605912.html

Movado Riveli Mens Watch 0605831 :
http://movado.hotwatch.org/Movado-Riveli-Mens-Watch-0605831.html

Movado Buleto Ladies Watch 0605918 :
http://movado.hotwatch.org/Movado-Buleto-Ladies-Watch-0605918.html

Movado Modo Ladies Watch 0605767 :
http://movado.hotwatch.org/Movado-Modo-Ladies-Watch-0605767.html

Movado Ladies Bela Watch 0605853 :
http://movado.hotwatch.org/movado-ladies-bela-watch-0605853.html

Movado Botelo Steel Automatic Mens Watch 0605700 :
http://movado.hotwatch.org/Movado-0605700.html

Movado Modo Steel Mens Watch 0605742 :
http://movado.hotwatch.org/Movado-0605742.html

Movado Capelo Steel Black Mens Watch 0605012 :
http://movado.hotwatch.org/Movado-0605012.html

Movado Capelo Diamond Steel Black Ladies Watch 0605158 :
http://movado.hotwatch.org/Movado-Capelo-Ladies-Watch-0605158.html

TOPIC: Check if a Public Method exists for a form and execute it
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/944aa4e07285114c?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 5:48 am
From: Chris Shepherd

Jeff wrote:
> I need a way to do the following and cannot seem to find a solution via
> google.
>
> 1. Have a method from the main app to get all open forms
> 2. Check each open form for a public method
> 3. If this public method exists execute it which will result in the
> displayed form being updated.  There will be no data loss as the forms
> will only contain listviews or readonly fields.

This last part is interesting. Are all these forms using a common data source?
If not, could they be?

It reads like you've got the same data in several places, and it would make more
sense to have a datasource that itself gets updated, and then the forms can
handle dealing with the updated datasource on their own.

Chris.

TOPIC: Solution: Texture.FromBitmap is slow runing from debugger
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/3fad64d6f02d470a?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 6:12 am
From: "colin"

Well after quite a lot of messing about I found that Texture.From...
is whats making it slow even loading from a memory stream
or a bitmap freshly loaded from a file,
but its only slow if the app is started with the debugger,
otherwise its plenty fast enough,

if I use TextureLoader its fast with the debugger,
but this cant load from a bitmap so I have to load from a file
but fortunatly its still fast if I load from a memory stream,
so il just keep my bitmaps as memory streams...

my gues is that there is some byte copying going on with the Texture.From
that is going acros the interface for each byte.

Colin =^.^=

"Peter Duniho" <NpOeStPeAdM@nnowslpianmk.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 May 2008 14:53:27 -0700, colin <colin.rowe1@ntworld.NOSPAM.com>
> wrote:
>
>> well its real fast without the debugger attatched...
>> so it must be something todo with c#/.net with the way the debugger
>> handles managed to unmanaged transitions although its using managed
>> directx. [...]
>
> Sorry.  I missed the "debugger" aspect of your question.  Reading too fast
> I guess.
>
> I still don't know the answer, but I suppose there's a slightly higher
> chance of you getting an answer here than I first thought, if it's a
> debugger-specific problem.
>
> Pete

TOPIC: Displaying high-res images in .NET?
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/f4ebe66b3f4ed2b7?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, May 12 2008 6:12 am
From: Barry Kelly

Ben Voigt [C++ MVP] wrote:

> "Barry Kelly" <barry.j.kelly@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Ben Voigt [C++ MVP] wrote:

> > MapViewOfFile will only directly help if the image is a raw bitmap and
> > you're displaying it with a image pixel to screen pixel ratio <= 1, and
> > even then it'll be limited. Since you'll need to copy each slice of
> > pixels into a single bitmap for actual on-screen display, you don't save
> > as much as you could when avoiding a copy by piggybacking the VM/FS
> > caching subsystem, IMO.
>
> I was under the impression that mapped files do use the same virtual memory
> code, just backed by a real file instead of the swapfile.

That's what I meant. Virtual memory, which requires paging in and out on
demand, is very similar to file-system caching, so they are often
implemented by the same OS subsystem.

-- Barry

--
http://barrkel.blogspot.com/